Nowadays, all kinds of electronic products can be seen everywhere in life, and mobile phones are even more inseparable. Long-term use of electronic products will cause certain damage to the eyes, and often feel soreness and dryness. In this regard, many people use eye drops to relieve symptoms, but improper use of eye drops can damage the eyes. This article introduces the types of commonly used eye drops, precautions and common sense of eye protection.
Common types of eye drops
1. Relieve visual fatigue. The main ingredients are peppermint, sodium hyaluronate and vitamins A, B, E, etc. It has a lubricating effect on the eyeballs, improves dry eyes and visual fatigue, and helps reduce red blood streaks and mechanical damage to the corneal and conjunctival epithelium. The frequency of use must be controlled, and long-term use is not allowed.
2. Anti-virus category. The name usually has words such as “ribavirin” and “lowrvir”, or clearly marked “antiviral”, etc., which is suitable for keratitis and conjunctivitis caused by virus infection. It needs the guidance of a doctor to use it, and it is not allowed to use it at will, which may cause secondary infection.
3. Antibiotics. The name usually has words such as “floxacin” and “mycin”, or clearly marked “sterilization”, etc., which is more suitable for infectious inflammations such as cornea, conjunctiva, lacrimal duct, and eyelid. Don’t use it randomly, so as not to cause fungal infection.
4. Hormones. The name usually has words such as “dragon” and “pine”, which is more suitable for patients with allergic inflammation, trauma, and severe inflammation. You must follow the doctor’s advice when using it to prevent hormonal glaucoma and optic nerve damage caused by improper use.
5. Artificial tears. The main ingredients are polyethylene glycol, sodium hyaluronate, methyl cellulose, chondroitin sulfate, etc. It is used more frequently by patients with dry eye to supplement tears and relieve fatigue and discomfort. For patients who need to use such eye drops for a long time and frequently, it is best to use disposable artificial tears without preservatives.
6. Special eye drops for specific diseases. For example, eye drops for refraction of juvenile myopia and ciliary muscle palsy, and eye drops for the treatment of glaucoma, cataracts, etc., must be used strictly in accordance with the doctor’s instructions.
Precautions for using eye drops
1. Master the correct method of applying eye drops. Before each drop of eye drops, the name must be checked and used according to the doctor’s advice. Before applying eye drops, wash your hands, and then gently pull down the eyelids. It is best to drip the eye drops into the ditch between the white eyeballs and the eyelids, or onto the white eyeballs. On the eyeballs. I only drip 1 drop of eye drops at a time. This is because the conjunctival sac in the eye is relatively small, with only such a large capacity, and the dripping will be squeezed out. After dripping, gently pull the upper and lower eyelids, then close your eyes and rest for a few minutes. If you need to use multiple eye drops, at least 5-10 minutes between each use.
2. Small packages of eye drops without preservatives should be used up within 1 day; large packages of eye drops must be used up within 4 weeks from the date of opening. Some eye drops have special devices, so they can be used within three months after unpacking. However, once discoloration, particles, or turbidity are found, they must be discarded.
3. Eye drops should generally be placed in a dark, cool place, and the room temperature should not exceed 25 degrees Celsius. Some eye drops need to be stored in the refrigerator at 2-8 degrees Celsius, and some eye drops are stored at room temperature of 10-30 degrees Celsius. Different eye drops have different storage methods, and it is best to store them in accordance with the drug instructions. Eye drops should be placed separately from medicines for treating athlete’s foot and skin diseases. Do not put other liquids in the empty eye drops bottle to prevent accidental dripping by others and cause unsafe incidents. In case of accidental drip, rinse and seek medical attention in time.
4. If there are many people who use eye drops at home, they must be dedicated. The name and opening time can be written on the packaging to prevent confusion and dispose of expired eye drops in time.
Common sense of eye protection
In life, when we feel that our eyes are uncomfortable, in addition to diseases, most of them are caused by excessive eye fatigue. The most direct and effective way is to reduce the time with eyes and develop good reading habits. Control the time you use electronic products to prevent blue light from damaging your eyes. In terms of diet, it is advisable to eat more foods with high vitamin A and D content, which can reduce eye fatigue, such as eggs, milk, and fish. Those with higher eye frequency and longer time should eat more yellow corn; those with strong eye fatigue should eat more sweet potatoes; those with dry eyes should eat more shepherd’s purse, and eat more spinach to make the eyes clearer. In addition, physical methods can also achieve eye protection, such as acupuncture, hot compress, massage, eye patch, etc. If the discomfort of the eyes does not alleviate after rest, or the symptoms worsen, seek medical attention in time to avoid delay in treatment.