News

First asteroid defense mission NASA executes humans

  Recently, SpaceX’s Falcon 9 successfully launched NASA’s Double Asteroid Redirection Test Probe.
  This is NASA’s first mission primarily dedicated to planetary defense, and the first human asteroid defense mission.
  It is understood that the double asteroid redirection test probe will deliberately collide with a near-Earth asteroid to test a technology that can deflect the trajectory of an asteroid that collides with Earth in the future.
  Earlier, Lindley Johnson, NASA’s planetary defense officer and director of the Planetary Defense Coordination Office, said at the briefing, “The double asteroid redirection test program is our larger investment in NASA’s planetary defense program. Part of the combination.”
  On November 24, the Falcon 9 lifted off from the Vandenberg Space Force Base in California. About 55 minutes later, the rocket’s upper stage launched the Double Asteroid Redirection Test Probe, which burned up twice on this stage.
  NASA then began deploying solar panels and confirmed that the double asteroid redirection test probe was in good condition.
  The Falcon 9’s first stage rocket landed on an unmanned ship docked near Vandenberg Air Force Base in the United States. This is the third flight of the rocket, which previously launched the Sentinel-6 Michael Frelich satellite and a batch of Starlink satellites.

  In addition, this is the first time SpaceX has launched for NASA’s Launch Services program, which handles probe missions such as the double asteroid redirection test, using boosters that have been used in previous flights, such as Boosters have been used extensively on NASA’s commercial cargo and crew missions.
  NASA administrator Bill Nelson said in an interview, “We hope to hit the asteroid to see if we can change its orbit slightly. If this is successful, then we have a future direction.”
  It is understood that , the Double Asteroid Redirection Test Probe will hit the asteroid Dimorphos, a moon orbiting the near-Earth asteroid Didymos, in September 2022 at a speed of more than 24,000 km/h.
  This mission will have a certain impact on the orbit of Dimorphos.
  In addition, in the mission of the double asteroid redirection test probe, it is necessary to carry out ground observations, and at the same time, it is necessary to coordinate the work of other agencies, and to re-plan the trajectory in a timely manner when new situations arise in the asteroid collision.
  Thomas Zubchin, deputy administrator of NASA, said, “All the asteroids that scientists currently know do not pose a threat of collision with Earth in the next century.”
  However, so far, only about 40% of the large asteroids Near-Earth asteroids are known.
  The good news is that NASA will soon begin its second planetary defense mission, the development and deployment of the Near-Earth Object Surveyor Telescope, which will improve the incomplete detection of near-Earth asteroids.

  Previously, the US Congress proposed that NASA needs to discover 90% or more of potentially dangerous near-Earth objects with a diameter of at least 140 meters by 2029.
  Near-Earth object surveyors using space-based infrared systems will help humans discover the existence of more near-Earth asteroids in order to accelerate the realization of this goal set by Congress for NASA.
  Currently, near-Earth object surveyors have entered the “preliminary design” stage and are expected to launch in 2026.
  Nelson said of these planetary defense efforts, “This is a complete program that everyone on Earth should be interested in doing in their space agency.” In the
  future, NASA will also work with European The space agencies are working together on the Hera mission to observe the aftermath of the Double Asteroid Redirection Test Probe’s collision with the Dimorphos asteroid.
  In addition, Nelson noted that there has been little new progress on other important issues facing NASA in recent times.
  Currently, NASA is in discussions with Roscosmos on the long-term planning of the International Space Station and the current agreement to exchange seats on the Soyuz manned spacecraft and commercial crew.
  It is reported that after a Russian anti-satellite missile test destroyed an artificial satellite, Nelson called Dmitry Rogozin, the director of the campaign, and has not had further direct contact with Roscosmos since then.
  But Nelson said that NASA’s cooperation with Russia on the International Space Station will not change because of this event.
  In addition, Nelson was recently meeting with members of the “Problem Solvers Caucus,” a bipartisan group of lawmakers in Congress, to give them an overview of NASA’s current activities, all of whom are excited about its space program.
  NASA recently announced that it would extend the return of humans to the lunar surface from 2024 to 2025 at the earliest, a key element of the plan.
  The delays in the plan were caused by Blue Origin’s protests to the U.S. Government Accountability Office and lawsuits filed in U.S. federal courts, as well as delays caused by the original timeline that was “not based on technical feasibility.” .

error: Content is protected !!