German weekly “Focus” stated on the 1st that all German states have recently set up “new crown prisons” to imprison those who refuse to comply with epidemic prevention regulations. Some German netizens and politicians criticized the move for “violating human rights,” and they also launched petitions on the Internet, demanding that these facilities be banned.
The state government of Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, established a “New Crown Prison” in Neumünster, Germany in January this year. It was converted from an outbuilding that was idle by the young manager. Like a traditional prison, its high walls are also equipped with barbed wire.
The “New Crown Prison” has 6 rooms. The room has a more comfortable bed and activity space. “Prisoners” are also allowed to use televisions, laptops, mobile phones and other household equipment, as well as provide medical services and psychological counseling.
“It should be no different from home isolation,” said local official Schultz. However, there is one obvious difference from home isolation: 12 to 15 full-time “prison guards” monitor the actions of these “prisoners” around the clock, and 30 retired police officers and correctional officers participate part-time in this project. Schultz emphasized that this is only a “last resort.” Only if they meet the “stringent conditions” will the offenders be sent to the “New Crown Prison”.
Schleswig-Holstein is not the first federal state in Germany to establish a “new crown prison”. In May last year, the German state of Brandenburg began using abandoned buildings to house people and tourists who refused to comply with epidemic prevention measures. Hessen also converted a hotel into a “new crown prison”. The eastern state of Saxony turned a refugee shelter into a “new crown prison.”
Some German netizens believed that the “New Crown Prison” violated human rights and issued a petition on the petition website, saying that the plan was “shocking” and should be banned. However, there are not many signers. The German Left Party also publicly opposed this plan.
South Korea will usher in the Spring Festival holiday this month. In order to contain signs of the recent spread of the epidemic, the Korean epidemic prevention department announced a series of epidemic prevention measures on January 31, extending the current epidemic prevention response measures by 2 weeks to February 14. Yonhap News Agency said that South Koreans will usher in a restricted Spring Festival holiday.
It is reported that the South Korean government plans to use the “three major combinations” of maintaining social distance, prohibiting gatherings of more than 5 people, and special anti-epidemic measures during the Spring Festival holiday (February 1st to February 14th) to prevent and control the epidemic. South Korea’s Central Disaster Safety Countermeasures Headquarters said on the same day that the current 2.5-level epidemic prevention measures in the metropolitan area, the second-level non-capital area epidemic prevention measures, and the national ban on gatherings of more than 5 people will continue until February 14. According to reports, this means that behaviors such as returning home or visiting relatives, family gatherings and other behaviors will actually become very difficult during the Spring Festival holiday this year. In particular, even the immediate family members cannot hold gatherings of more than 5 people if they live in different places. In case of violation, a fine of 100,000 won (approximately RMB 578) per person will be imposed. South Korea’s Central Disaster Safety Response Headquarters also urged people not to return home to visit relatives and travel during the Spring Festival holiday, and to greet each other online. In addition, the business restrictions for restaurants and cafes after 9pm will continue to remain unchanged.
According to reports, since the new year, the number of confirmed cases of new crowns in South Korea has dropped to 300-400 in a single day. The government has considered relaxing the epidemic prevention response measures. It is believed that under this circumstance, the relaxation of epidemic prevention and response measures may become the fuse for the resurgence of the epidemic during the Spring Festival, and finally decided to tighten the epidemic prevention measures.
As soon as relevant epidemic prevention measures were announced, discussions were triggered on the Internet. Some netizens expressed their support, believing that if social distancing is not maintained, the epidemic will worsen again and it is the best policy not to meet. Some netizens called for adults to act responsibly in order for children to start school normally in the new semester. Although some netizens expressed their sadness about the measures that caused them to be unable to return to their hometowns and reunite their relatives during the Spring Festival, they also expressed reluctance to accept them.
On January 31, South Korean Prime Minister Ding Shijun also introduced the vaccine-related situation when holding a meeting of the epidemic prevention department. He revealed that 117,000 doses of Pfizer vaccine will arrive in South Korea as soon as mid-February. Regarding the issue of vaccination for foreigners in Korea, the Korean Agency for Disease Control also responded on February 1, stating that it has decided to provide free COVID-19 vaccination services to foreigners who “live in Korea for a long time and have health insurance”, and the order of vaccination for foreigners The same for Koreans. South Korea’s Central Anti-epidemic Countermeasures Headquarters reported on the 1st that 305 new cases were confirmed that day, with a total of 78,508 confirmed cases and a total of 1,425 deaths.
Tom Moore, a British “centenarian” who raised more than £32 million for medical staff during the new crown epidemic (pictured), was recently diagnosed with the new crown virus and has been hospitalized, but There is currently no life threatening. The news of Moore’s hospitalization for the new crown affected British society, and British Prime Minister Johnson sent a message on social media to express condolences. According to public opinion, Tom Moore has become the “spiritual pillar” of the whole Britain when the country is deeply caught in the epidemic, and now he is about to fight hard against the disease.
The Guardian reported that Tom Moore’s daughter Hannah Ingram-Moore posted on social media on the 31st of last month that her father “Captain Tom” had been treated for pneumonia in recent weeks. He tested positive for the new coronavirus and was diagnosed with new coronary pneumonia. After a few days of isolation at home, he was admitted to the hospital for treatment on the 31st due to breathing difficulties. Tom Moore is currently in the general ward, receiving respiratory treatment, but has not entered the intensive care unit, and his body is in a stable condition. Although he is a hundred years old, Tom Moore has not received the new crown vaccine due to previous treatment for pneumonia. Hannah said that her father was well treated in the local hospital, including extra assistance in breathing. “We look forward to his coming home soon.”
The British “Daily Mail” reported that Tom Moore, a veteran known as a “national hero” because of his previous donation, was diagnosed with the new crown, which has aroused the attention of all parties. After learning of the news, British Prime Minister Johnson sent a message on social media to express his condolences to Moore: “I am with Moore’s family. You have inspired the entire United Kingdom, and all of us wish you a speedy recovery.” Some celebrities They also spoke on the Internet to pay tribute and condolences to Tom Moore. British media said that people sincerely hope that Tom Moore can overcome the illness. The centenarian has become one of the symbols of the entire country’s fight against the new crown virus. “If he eventually falls, the whole of Britain will be deeply saddened.”
Tom Moore lives in Bedfordshire, England and is a veteran of World War II. In April 2020, he initiated a fundraiser by using a walker to walk around his yard 100 times before his 100th birthday on April 30th, with a goal of 1000 pounds. All proceeds from the fundraising will be handed over to the British National Insurance System (NHS) to support British medical staff who are fighting on the front lines of the epidemic. Tom Moore has undergone hip replacement surgery and can only walk slowly even with a walker. His charity spread through the media to the entire country and the world, arousing widespread concern, enthusiastic response and enthusiastic donations. In the end, Moore raised much higher than expected-more than 32 million pounds. He also set the Guinness World Record for the most personal fundraising through walking. Queen Elizabeth II of England officially canonized this World War II veteran as a knight on July 17 last year, in recognition of his good deeds and the huge social influence that it has produced.
“The Guardian” stated that Tom Moore had previously initiated a self-challenge to raise donations on foot in order to support British medical staff and won. Now he has accepted another more difficult challenge-defeating the new crown virus. But at this time, he is no longer an unknown veteran, but a national hero who is famous all over the United Kingdom. “The entire United Kingdom will stand behind him.”
Some public opinion also said that the hundred-year-old veteran who originally raised funds to fight the new crown epidemic has now contracted the new crown virus and is forced to fight the virus. This in itself shows how serious the current epidemic in this country has reached. Tom Moore received attention for his charity, but besides him, there are millions of such elderly people in the UK who are facing the threat of the virus and are even on the line of life and death.
According to data released by the British government on January 31, there were 21088 new confirmed cases of new crown in the UK on that day, with a total of 3817176 confirmed cases; a total of 106,158 deaths. As the most severely affected country in Europe, the current epidemic in the UK seems to be “a little changed.” The number of newly confirmed cases in a single day has dropped from 30,000 to 40,000 in the previous 1-2 weeks to about 20,000 at present. Some British medical staff said that the situation in hospitals is now “stabilizing” and the pressure in the intensive care unit has been reduced. In addition, the number of daily vaccination in the UK has reached a new high, reaching 600,000 people in a single day. This also brings some positive factors to the prospects of the UK’s epidemic prevention and control. Reuters said that although the epidemic eased slightly during its peak period, medical experts still warned that the British epidemic still has a high risk of outbreak.
In addition to the new cases that are still increasing daily, the high infectivity of the mutant virus may cause the epidemic to break out again at any time. If we do not tighten and maintain strict epidemic prevention measures, the United Kingdom is likely to be in a very difficult situation again in March and April next spring. The Guardian stated that in the context of the prolonged epidemic, the British people “have gradually become accustomed to coexisting with the virus for a long time.” But this mentality is not conducive to strict social isolation. At the same time, the pressure on frontline medical staff is still difficult to relieve. Officials of the British medical department said that the physical and psychological conditions of the country’s medical staff are “trending to be worse” and that they need to be concerned and take targeted assistance measures.