It all went with amazing speed.

Takácsy, Lieutenant Ferdinand’s hussar, was at the Jovicsszállás guard, where he received a gunshot wound. We got together at the patient’s bed. Here we took the news that there would be an attack on St. Thomas in the morning. It electrified us all. Takácsy took it for granted that he could not take part in this trip. The funniest mood occupied the whole company, only Lieutenant Fiáth remained serious. Not long after, he said goodbye sensitively, and shook hands with Takácsy, he said:

– God be with you, we don’t see each other anymore. He went home, put his belongings in order, wrapped each other up, wrote a address on it; he wrote letters to several, presented him as a servant, and then lay down.

We went out to camp. Throughout the night, my squadron performed the outpost service. At 3 o’clock in the morning I was ordered to retire to the camp, they were not replaced; it is certain that today we will smell gunpowder.

The army was on schedule. After a long walk we reached Turia, another part started against Sz.-Tamás, the third Földvár. All three locations were attacked simultaneously.

Lenkey with his hussars out of punishment for coming home without an order set him in the most dangerous place to cover his cannon. The first cannonball that flew out of the ramparts found Son, who immediately died a monster.

It was a peculiarly terrible battle; the cannon and rifle bullets flew, the people fell, and we saw no enemy anywhere. It’s like fighting with ghosts. The infantry complained of exhaustion and fatigue; the hussars found this battle boring.

Next to Pali Ráday, a hussar took his foot out of the stirrups and yawned and stretched, at that moment -71-the cannonball sweeps away the stirrup, and the hussar begins to swear, and he doesn’t stop until Ráday says there:

“Listen, and thank God that his feet were not there.”

“Yes, the hussar replied, but where the hell am I going to put my feet all day now?”

There a cannonball tore at the right leg of three men, as they were lined up, each one, including Sergeant Carver, who, of course, collapsed and exclaimed:

“I’m glad, at least I don’t have to come back on foot.”

That’s how we were shot nicely by the loyal grids, our cannons also responded waist-deep, but we don’t know how much and how much damage they did.

The most notable individuals fell: Major Szemere, Baron István Orczy, National Guard of Pest County, Lieutenant General Hátár Fiáth.

The long walk, the endless up and down, the back and forth, the foodlessness and thirst were quite exhausted, so much so that when they were commanded to return, every strand of hair stood up and ran cold on my back at the thought of doing that awful journey again.

I can say I no longer felt my legs, they swayed back and forth like a clock face, and I only moved instinctively; I didn’t fall down because we supported each other in line.

After 10 o’clock at night we arrived at the camp under Ó-Becse. From 3 o’clock in the morning to 10 o’clock in the evening, to walk on several feet, to stand in the fire for a few hours, to remain hungry and thirsty all the time, exhausted our strength to the last drop.-72-

I can scarcely say to my bachelor, “Hurry to Old Becher, bring food, for I am starving.” With this, I lay on the damp ground, and consciousness left. From my deep sleep, my bachelor woke me up, who brought cold fried cheese and a bottle of wine. I didn’t even have a bite to eat, but I drank the bottle of wine at once and resumed sleeping immediately.

When we marched into Ó-Becs again, I had boundless joy to be able to rest well under cover now. I was disappointed, Prince Vorinyetzky arrived with his new hunter-battalion, so I had to go to an acquaintance feast, and it usually lasted until morning.

This battalion was very distinguished in the very first battles.

Baron Baldacci divorced our battalion due to the ongoing quarrel with Földváry.

After several weeks of staying, we moved from Ó-Becse to Becskerek. The mood at our team has completely changed. Distrust and dislike for Földváry – especially on the part of the first century – spoke out loud more than once, and when Földváry was discouraged, he went to Ó-Becsé and said goodbye.

We went to Sigismund’s Village, when the battalion’s command conferred on me by the headquarters. There could hardly have been any more unpleasant surprises here. I did not feel sufficient ability to meet this officer, on the other hand I realized how much inconvenience I had to deal with, because except for my closest friends, not only could I not count on other centuries to support me, but wherever I could have difficulty exposed to unrest. But in my destiny-73-I have to calm down. How many times did we get the news that the grids would break in here or there, and the outposts were displayed in the direction of the candidate, the battalion spent half a night and sometimes all days outside. And even if I was convinced that the notification was a lie, I had to act as if I believed it sacred, because it could have happened, and the responsibility for the omission lies with me. I can say with good spirit that I did not sleep a night here during our stay, and I had few hours of rest only during the day.

Being a final stop against the enemy grids, I never missed inspecting the outposts at night. I was in such a flight, and I found an outpost empty. I hurried to the officer’s guard post to inquire. It was immediately revealed that a Pest lawyer, József Jordán, had been set up in the place, whom we found lying deep on the ground in a deep dream.

Compared to the seriousness of the situation, I acted against it with military rigor. Jordan grabbed a gun at me with a vile swearing. I was captured and harassed in the middle of a gun, with the intention of handing it over to a headquarters accompanied by a report.

As a result, mostly in the first century, obedience to me was quite denied.

Luckily, Prince Vorinyetzky came to replace us with his hunting battalion, and we were given a decree to hurry to Pest immediately at the foreclosures.

I haunted Jordan in a separate car gun with the intention of leaving me captive at the very first command on the road.

In Kikinda, after we arrived, I hurried to the local commander Sándor Nagy immediately, I announced the -74-a battalion passing through and at the same time I asked to take over the detained Jordan to be brought before a court-martial here.

“I have so much trouble with the local grids here that you’re doing me a really big favor,” says Alexander the Great, if you take your prisoner on. Catch it elsewhere is a deserved punishment. In this grid nest, it would only give rise to a mende-legend.

I took the battalion to Szeged, but I swallowed so much bitterness that here I handed over the command to János Burián, together with the Jordan under guard, to do what he wanted.

In Czegléd, Lajos Kossuth was waiting for the battalion. He thanked for the arbitrary service and called in an enthusiastic speech to transform into a regular patrol battalion. The officers will remain in their current grades.

I was sincerely glad that I resigned from the command in Szeged, and with this battalion I was able to do so, I could not have done so after Kossuth’s call, he walked, but in a normal army I would have had to learn a lot for that, and on the other hand I would rather drive to cavalry.

I said goodbye to my comrades-in-arms, and I came to Pest in the company of Count Gida Ráday and Csernyus Bandi.

There was a lot of excitement in Pest; troops came and went continuously, I already found more representatives in military uniforms than János Balogh, István Zákó,-75-Bogdanovich Vilit. The number of those who believed that the homeland could still be saved with a pen and speech was greatly melted.

The Viennese authorities had already dropped the mask and decided to subjugate Hungary. The password was issued to Baron Jellasich, and he broke into Hungary with his army. In Transylvania, permission was granted to exterminate the Hungarians, and for noble purposes, a fraternal agreement was reached between the Saxons and the Oláhs. In Vienna, some Récsey was appointed Minister of Hungary, and a countersigning order was issued in support of this. Enforcement, as Royal Commissioner, was entrusted to Count Lamberg. The news preceded his arrival.