“Carrot cake” is a British dessert derived from traditional techniques. The recipe is from an American girl who made desserts in a Michelin star restaurant. This is the most memorable food she has made while studying in the UK. It is really delicious. To burst.
It is said that carrot cake was a necessity in the Middle Ages of England. White sugar was difficult to buy and expensive at the time. Because carrots are rich in natural sugar, people at that time used the sweetness of carrots to add flavor to the cakes. This situation was born, and it has been preserved as a traditional dessert to this day. It is also one of the most popular desserts in British families.
Cake body raw materials (foreigner’s original formula)
2 carrots (medium size about 250 g), all-purpose flour 110 g (I use 140 g), whole wheat flour 50 g (I changed to 50 g wheat germ), 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder, ginger powder 1 / 4 teaspoons, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 10 g baking powder, 4 eggs, 200 g olive oil, 150 g granulated sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/2 orange zest (I used A lemon dander plus 10 g lemon juice), 70 g raisins, 30 g walnuts.
Cake spread ingredients
500 g cream cheese, 115 g butter, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, 40 g chopped walnuts.
1. Walnuts are roasted at 170 ° C for 5 minutes, let cool and chopped.
2. Mix flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon powder and ginger powder and mix well and sift.
3. Put raisins and crushed walnuts into a small bowl, add an appropriate amount of flour, evenly mix the flour by hand, make the flour evenly wrap the raisins and walnuts to prevent adhesion.
4. Wash the carrots and use a grater to grind them into fine filaments.
5. Mix the eggs with sugar and beat with a mixer until the egg whites are white and thick. Add olive oil in two portions and whip with the mixer while adding.
6. Add vanilla extract and orange zest and mix well.
7. Add mixed gluten flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon powder and ginger powder in two batches and mix well.
8. Add carrot shreds, mix well, add raisins and walnuts, mix well (do not over-mix, just mix well).
9. Spread greased paper (or 450 g toast mold) in the mold, pour the batter into the mold and bake.
10. Fire up and down at 180 ° C, in the middle of the oven, for 60 to 70 minutes (time and temperature are for reference only, please adjust with your own oven temper). You can use a bamboo stick to insert into the center of the cake. After the bamboo stick is pulled out, there is no sticky attachment on the bamboo stick, which means that the cake is already cooked. After the cake is baked, it is immediately out of the oven and placed on the grill to cool thoroughly. Use the time to bake a cake to make cheese cream for spreading.
11. Cream cheese is softened and whipped at room temperature until smooth (putting a warm water basin under the cheese basin will help to smooth the cheese faster).
12. Add the softened butter in batches and beat until smooth, add vanilla extract and mix well (the smoothed cheese cream needs to be smooth and free of particles, soft and moderate, if it is too soft, it can be refrigerated and set in the refrigerator).
13. Spread the cheese cream evenly on the surface and around the cake. Sprinkle the chopped walnuts on the surface.
● Medium gluten flour I use ordinary dumpling flour. You can also use high gluten flour and low gluten flour in a ratio of 5: 5 or 4: 6.
● This cake has a large liquid content and a thin batter, so the baking time should not be too short. If you want to shorten the baking time, it is recommended to use 2 to 3 small molds to distribute the batter for baking.
● Wait for the cake to cool down before spreading it to prevent the cheese from melting when the cake is hot and affecting the taste.