The wound on the hand actually causes meningitis

The 34-year-old Mr. Chen suddenly had a high fever and he was unable to control the disease in many hospitals. A few days ago, Mr. Chen was diagnosed with purulent meningitis at Guangdong Sanjiu Brain Hospital, and Mr. Chen’s illness was related to the wound in his hand.

Anti-recurrent burning is caused by meningitis

Half a month ago, Mr. Chen, who was a chef at the restaurant, suddenly had a fever. He has always been a strong physique. He thought it was an ordinary fever. “It just feels that the head is heavy and groggy, so it is not a serious matter.” Mr. Chen said. Four days later, Mr. Chen was fever again. In consideration of repeated fever, he went to a nearby community hospital for infusion.

However, during the infusion process, Mr. Chen suddenly had cold sweats, irritability, gibberish, and confusion. What is more serious is that on the way to the higher-level hospital, Mr. Chen suddenly turned his eyes up, his teeth closed, and his limbs twitched. It lasted for about 3 minutes before he gradually improved. After treatment, some symptoms have been alleviated, but the symptoms of Mr. Chen’s irritability have not improved. In order to seek further treatment, Mr. Chen transferred to Guangdong Sanjiu Brain Hospital.

After the hospital’s neurology department director Zhong Shuisheng received the diagnosis, combined with the relevant imaging examination, the patient’s meningeal irritation was found to be positive, combined with the relevant medical history, the initial diagnosis of meningitis.

Bacteria invade the body from the wound

What caused Zhong Shuisheng’s attention was that there was a small piece of wound about 1 cm long on the thumb of the patient’s right hand. Zhong Shuisheng immediately performed a puncture examination for the patient. “The cerebrospinal fluid of normal people is clear, but the cerebrospinal fluid drawn from this patient is turbid, which is a typical suppurative change.” Zhong Shuisheng said that the results of cerebrospinal fluid smear cultivation showed Gram-stained cocci. Taking into account the habit of not wearing gloves when the patient is handling the ingredients, plus the wound on the hand, Zhong Shuisheng preliminarily judged that the bacteria invaded the body from the wound in the hand when the patient cooked the pork, and then infected. After symptomatic treatment, Mr. Chen has gradually recovered.

Streptococcus suis is a bacterium that primarily infects pigs but can also be passed on to humans. After the human body is infected with Streptococcus suis, most cases have high fever, general malaise, and dizziness at the beginning of the disease. It is worth noting that the disease has a short incubation period and is generally within 3 days from exposure to onset.

Zhong Shuisheng suggested that in daily life, never buy or consume pork of unknown origin. In addition, special gloves must be worn when handling and processing pork, especially those who have wounds and barbs on their hands. “Even if it is not Streptococcus suis, other body surface bacteria can cause dangerous and fatal sepsis through the wound into the body.”

[Tips]

High temperature can kill Streptococcus suis

Streptococcus is most afraid of high temperatures. As long as the pork is heated to a high temperature of 100 degrees, the swine streak virus can be killed immediately; stewing at a temperature above 60 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes can also completely kill the virus.