Many people (especially women) often have unexplained dry mouth, dry eyes, dry skin, and continue to drink water but still can not alleviate, as well as dry eyes, blurred vision and other symptoms. Many people think that because the environment is dry, it is better to supplement the water, and in fact, these dry symptoms may indicate the body’s immune system disorder. Sometimes it is not that the hydration is not in place, but the dry syndrome is “ghosting.”
Why do you have a dry syndrome?
Sjogren’s syndrome (SS) is an autoimmune disease, which means that the patient’s immune system attacks its own cells. Under normal circumstances, the immune system can protect us from outside pests such as viruses and bacteria. In the case of Sjogren’s syndrome, the immune cells that should have been fighting with the disease “is enemies”, attacking various organs of their own, especially the lacrimal gland and salivary glands, resulting in dry eyes and dry mouth.
What is the performance of Sjogren’s syndrome
● Dry eyes without tears: insufficient tear secretion, lack of lubrication in the eyeball.
● Caries: Because oral salivary gland secretion is reduced, oral bacteria grow, patients will have a large number of cavities in a short period of time, teeth decayed pieces fall off, and finally only residual roots, clinically known as caries.
● Dry mouth: insufficient secretion of saliva.
In addition, it may be accompanied by organ damage. Sjogren’s syndrome can not only have a “dry” performance, but also affect the extra-glandular organs, including joints, thyroid, kidney, liver, lungs and skin.
● Adults repeatedly swollen parotid gland: periodic swelling, pain; can be bilateral or unilateral.
● Atypical joint pain: especially in middle-aged and older women; exclude rheumatoid arthritis: joint erosion is rare
● Distal renal tubular acidosis: The distal renal tubule is responsible for excreting excess acid from the body. Acidification dysfunction can lead to acidosis in the body, which is characterized by hypokalemia, muscle weakness, and soft palate.
● Unexplained pulmonary interstitial fibrosis: mild cough occurs in patients with mild involvement, and shortness of breath occurs in severe cases. Early lesions can only be found in high-resolution lung CT. Biopsy found that CD4+ T cell infiltration has an important role in suggesting.
● Unexplained hepatobiliary damage, chronic pancreas:
● Blood system: Leukopenia: thrombocytopenia
● Nervous system: numbness, pain.
Dry treatment trilogy
● Early: symptomatic treatment
Only when the dry mouth is dry and there is no other organ damage, the symptomatic treatment is mainly taken. Use artificial tears to relieve dry eyes, use oral lubricants to relieve dry mouth, use non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs to treat joint or muscle pain; follow up regularly at the hospital, closely observe the condition, adjust the treatment at any time; do not need hormone and immunosuppressive drug intervention Otherwise, side effects will occur, over-treatment, and more harm than good.
The symptomatic treatment of dry eyes mainly includes artificial tears instead of natural tears to keep the eyes moist, with different concentrations, and some preservatives may irritate the eyes:
Various ointments: thicker than artificial tears, relatively long acting time, up to several hours, the best use of sleep:
Local anti-inflammatory drugs:
●Active period: systemic treatment
The disease progresses, and other signs of organ damage, such as abnormal blood system, abnormal liver function, pulmonary fibrosis, renal dysfunction, neuropathy, etc., need to be treated with hormones and immunosuppressive agents to prevent immune disorders and relieve the disease. progress.
● Stable period: maintain medication
The drug is reduced to a safe maintenance dose, and it is taken to maintain the long-term stability of the disease. The key to this stage is to avoid predisposing factors and ensure maintenance of the drug.
What do you want to pay attention to when you want to “moisturize” your life?
●Dry eye care
Remember to blink 5-6 times per minute when reading or using your computer:
Place a humidifier in a room that uses a heater or air conditioner:
Do not smoke and stay away from the smog.
●Dry mouth care
Salivary gland secretion can be stimulated by chewing gum or sucking hard candy. However, it should be noted that chewing gum and hard candy must be sugar-free, because dry mouth is easy to cause dental caries, and sugary foods can aggravate tooth decay.
Drink water all day long or drink some sugar-free, non-carbonated drinks to keep your mouth moist. Note that drinking plenty of water many times does not reduce the dryness of the mouth, but it will increase the number of urination. Regularly visit the dentist, at least twice a year, check and clean your teeth, and floss your teeth every day.
Rinse mouth water several times a day. Do not use alcohol-containing mouthwash because alcohol can dry your mouth.
Brush your teeth, gums and tongue gently with fluoride toothpaste after meals and before going to bed.
Seek medical attention if you have an uncommon or persistent burning sensation or other oral symptoms.
●Skin dry care
Some patients are very sensitive to ultraviolet light, and even the sunlight through the window can cause a burning sensation. If you are allergic to light, apply sunscreen (SPF ≥ 15) whenever you go out and avoid prolonged exposure to the sun.
Apply moisturizer and ointment 3-4 times a day to reduce skin moisture loss. The lotion evaporates quickly and causes dry skin, so it is not recommended to use it alone.
It is recommended to take a short shower (5 minutes) and use a moisturizing soap: soak for 10-15 minutes in the bath to let the skin absorb moisture.
Sjogren’s syndrome is not uncommon, especially in middle-aged and elderly women, but many patients do not realize that dry mouth and dry eyes are also a disease, so from the onset to the diagnosis is often a few months, up to ten For the rest of the year, and often after significant visceral damage, the diagnosis was lost and the best treatment time was lost. Sjogren’s syndrome is not terrible. As long as we are treated correctly, pay attention to daily care, we can have a high quality of life. Therefore, if the above symptoms occur or the symptoms of dry mouth and dry eyes appear on the basis of the original connective tissue disease, please go to the rheumatology and immunology department.