Many people are very interested in the topic of time management. The reason is that we are not satisfied with our time use status. Especially for the effectiveness of eight hours a day, it is often necessary to supplement the eight-hour deficiencies by overtime work, and overtime work is even a culture in some companies. For example, Huawei’s overtime culture has many discussions on the Internet. .
Overtime culture refers to the phenomenon that employees still work when they should rest. Overtime culture is linked to the economic climate with redundant staff, shrinking companies, and delayed projects. In order to keep the job, employees feel that it is necessary to be busy when they have nothing to do. This means working late, when I am sick, I go to work as usual and give up my vacation (this word was invented by Professor Gary Cooper, a psychologist who specializes in organizational management).
This is another brand imprinted to us by the times. Just as in the Brief History of Humanity, we say that we have the hearts of ancient hunter-gatherers and the stomach of an agricultural age. We can also say that our working methods often remain in industry. Times, such as office design, punching system, performance appraisal methods, etc., knowledge workers and workers are two completely different species, and we are still habitually still adopting the industrial age evaluation model. If workers’ productivity per hour is basically the same, then paying attention to their working hours will make sense. For repetitive work, this evaluation model may work, but it is not suitable for knowledge workers.
For knowledge workers, how much difference is the final result of one hour of efficient work and one hour of inefficient work? Considering the amount of work done and the outcome of the output, one hour of efficient work can easily reach more than 10 times the inefficient work. If you spend more time in the office, but work efficiency is often only 20% of your actual ability, what does it mean? Why not just finish the 90-minute substantive work directly, and then finish the day’s work and feel at ease? Imagine if you could work all day in 90 minutes, what would happen? What will the 90-minute high efficiency time look like?
Here are some suggestions, such as the in-depth work method we talked about above: “Effective Managers” Lesson 11: Deep Work Method
Here is a suggestion from Steve Pafolina that can be used to get a very efficient 90 minutes and get yourself into a state of deep work, as Drucker said, we urgently need a whole piece of time. It’s not time to cut into countless pieces to carry out work, which is like a whip in the information age like today.
1. Pick a focused theme: Contrary to doing a bunch of random selections, pick a clear theme for this time block. This will immerse your brain in a single focused environment and stick to it, making you more productive. The work topic can be the project you are working on, focusing on a single type of transaction such as email, or something else that allows the brain to concentrate.
In fact, this is also the way I personally practice and benefit from it. I wake up at 5 am every morning and then use my time from 5 to 6:30 to concentrate myself on the vast majority of the day. The important work, its high efficiency, sometimes even marvels at himself.
2. Set the finish line: Think of the focused time block as a fast sprint toward the finish line. But where is the finish line? What does it look like? There is a clear goal that can be achieved in 90 minutes, which can help you focus better. If you can’t cross the finish line every time, don’t worry; its purpose is to help you focus more, so aiming at it is good, we can accept situations that are sometimes impossible. For example: Write and post a blog. Process all messages in the mailbox until they are emptied. Plan and schedule all the time blocks for the next week.
3. List the action steps: List the specific actions you want to implement in the appropriate time block. This is extremely helpful for certain time blocks. If the steps are already clear, this approach may not be necessary. I don’t need to list the action steps for writing a new article because I am already very familiar with the process. But I will list brainstorming and action steps for new projects that are unfamiliar to make it easier to get started. For example: first delete all obvious spam in your inbox. Then quickly process all the letters that can be replied in two minutes. Then sort the longer letters that need to be replied and arrange the reply priorities. Then reply to the ones that are most important to yourself in longer letters until you reach the 90-minute time point. For the rest of the messages, acknowledging that responding to them is not a good option to take personal time, archive them directly and empty your inbox.
4. Make sure there is no interference: use all methods to ensure that you are not disturbed under any circumstances in the focused time block. If necessary, tell people in advance that you don’t want to be disturbed for the next 90 minutes; let them know that you can find you after this time. If you can, lock the door to the room. If you can’t guarantee that you won’t be disturbed in your existing work environment, go to another place to focus on the time block. If you can be sure that you are not disturbed, you will be more efficient and have a deeper focus.
So, now I want to come, it is precisely because there is no interference in the morning, including the phone, WeChat, will allow you to inject all the energy into what you are doing, this is a guarantee to improve concentration.
5. Work quickly: think fast, act, and work. If you find yourself slow, speed up as soon as possible! Imagine yourself in the competition and have to keep a strong pace for the entire 90 minutes. After the competition you will be able to rest. After training, this working state can be more easily realized.
6. Don’t let yourself be distracted: In the focus time block, you have to do your own pre-defined work, and no other things. Turn off your phone. Disable any notification features that may interfere with you. If you do not need it during this time, disconnect the network. Do not check the mail during this time. Do not drink coffee or snacks. Only go to the bathroom when necessary.
If you try to use the “90-minute work method” tomorrow, which theme will you choose? At what time period does this “90 minutes” arrangement make it easier to ensure results? What location?
If you are about to start your “90-minute work method”, what steps will you take to ensure that you are not disturbed? List them.
Regarding the concentrated working hours, you must have some effective practices. Welcome to share your message with you .